Back to the Cafe Side of Life

 

 

 

 

 

Clipons

 

 

 

 

 

The clipons started with a block of 6061 aluminum cut from a bar. 

 

 

 

 

Next a little squaring up.

 

 

Then the hole for the fork tube.

 

 

 

And then holes for the handle bar and two pinch bolts.

 

 

At this point I needed a fixture to allow me to hold the piece on the rotary table.

 

 

 

The plate is an old piece of scrap left over from one of the tractors. After machining it flat and true I bored a hole to mount the two rounds (one for the handle bar hole and one for the fork tube hole) which will secure the work piece to the plate. Hopefully the plate will be useful to mount other things in the future with the addition of an appropriate size round.

 

 

After the block was split for the fork tube pinch bolts and whittled on to remove some unnecessary material it was mounted on the rotary table to begin some of the pretty work.

 

 

Eventually to look like this.

 

 

 

 

 

I may go back and whittle this down some more at a later time but I'll try it like this for now. Who knows, once I start actually trying to set the bike up I may find that this design just doesn't work and have to start all over again.

 

 

Along with the clip-ons came modern levers. I really liked the adjustable, folding levers that were available. However, none were designed to fit the '71. But, I looked at the ones that I had installed on Tweety and Booger (my Thruxtons) and found that all I really needed to do was make adapters to mount those levers to the stock perches and cables. This was sooo much easier than trying to manufacture the complete lever assemblies.

 

Another thing that encouraged me to pursue this was the fact that I just really didn't like the stock electrical switches that were part of the original perches. Triumph, in all their wisdom, had, by making the switches integral with the perches, made it impossible to adjust the location of the levers independently of the switches. The end result was that I could not reach the switches with out taking my hand off the grip and absolutely not while operating the clutch or brake.

 

 

 

 

I started with a piece of 1/2" plate and, using the rotary table, started carving out the adapters.

 

 

 

 

 

The piece on the right is the part of the lever that fits the Thruxton.

 

 

 

 

And, the completed piece on the right. While the bushing for the lever at the bottom of the picture transferred from the Thruxton piece I had to make the one at the top as this had to match the stock perch.

 

 

 

 

And will lay out like this. This single switch will give me high and low beams, turn signals, and a horn, all with in reach of my left thumb.

 

Next came the replacements for the switch gear as they were the other half of the mounting system for the levers.

 

 

 

I started with a piece of round that I turned to an appropriate size and bored to fit the bars. This I mounted on the rotary table, off center, and produced this elliptical shape.

 

 

 

I could see no realistic way to clamp the two halves in the saw to cut them in two so rummaged around in my box of end mills until I found one long enough to do the job.

 

 

Once in two pieces I had the clam shells that will become the other half of the perches.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

From here the mating surfaces of the clam shells will have to be milled true then drilled and tapped for the mounting screws.

 

 

And here is what they look like on the bike.

 

 

The top clamps for the lever perches look like they are too large for their position however, they are exactly the same size as the original switch gear. I guess the fact that they are much flatter makes them look bigger than they are.