Back to the Cafe Side of Life

 

 

 

 

'71 Rear Sets

 

 

I began the rear sets with the lever that would attach to the shifter shaft on the transmission. Back when I had the engine apart (spring of 2012) I used the sector shaft to test the splines in the lever for fit.

 

 

After boring the hole to the minor diameter I made a tool to chuck in my boring bar with the proper "V" shape for the splines.  

 

 

 

 

 

At this point the piece will have to be cleaned up and the end split so that the pinch bolt can tighten the piece on the splines.

 

With that out of the way I turned my attention to mounting plates for the rear sets themselves. Something that should be kept in mind is that this project was spread over several months so, a little at a time.

 

 

 

The mounting plate started with a scrap piece of plywood for a template.

 

 

 

Once I had something that I thought would work, the outline and hole locations were transferred to a piece of plate.

 

 

Then the whittlin' began.

 

 

 

Until I got here.

 

Next came the pegs.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

And then the brake pedal.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The pivot  bolt came from a piece of 303 stainless hex stock.

 

 

Once I got the new brake rod bent and threaded I mounted them only to find that in a riding crouch the toe peg was too high. I was also not thrilled with the size of the whole pedal assembly so all this got tossed and it was back to the drawing board.

The next picture is just to give you an idea of what the mounting location will be like.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The second time around I ended up with this. After my first failed attempt I decided to wait before trying to cut this out some. Once I am sure it's going to be a keeper I will go back and whittle some more.

 

 

The first attempt for the shifter looked like this.

 

 

I found that the leverages weren't quite right so tried again and got this.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 I may remake the toe peg. I can see how that knurled toe piece will probably be pretty hard on the toe of my boot. 

 

 

The assembly of the shifting side required several more pieces but they are small so I did not document their manufacture. Here is what the assembled shifter looks like.

 

 

 

 

 

And this is what they look like on the bike.