My '66 BONNEVILLE


click here to go back to art's bikes main page

click here to go back to my Thruxton page

 

 


Below are pictures of my 1966 Triumph Bonneville. I bought it as a basket case in 1971 and built it in the Cafe' style. It was not complete when I got it, with many pieces missing. This meant that it was easy to make the decision to modify it because I had to buy or make many new parts any way. The disc brakes were stock Honda parts which I gathered from various places. By reversing the rotor and caliper on the right side I was able to put the duel disc hub together and string it to the proper wheel.

 The first set of mounting brackets were hand made from sheet metal. Later I machined clamps out of aluminum.  I had many people tell me that duel discs were dangerous, they said that if one or the other side failed that it would cause the front end to pull violently to the opposite side. Time would prove this idea ridiculous as duel front brakes would eventually become common. 

Another idea that I had was to drill the rotors. This idea was also discouraged by many. They seemed to think that the holes would cause the brakes to pulse. I went to great lengths to plan my hole pattern such that always the same number of holes were covered at the same time. Shortly after that, BMW introduced a model with drilled front rotors using a simple two-three-two pattern, Prior to that, however, this was a serous concern. 

 




Below are pictures of Art, Chad, and the '66 taken about 1974.  
















The pictures below were taken between 1975 and 1978











 

The tail light bracket, rear sets, bar end mirror mounts, rear brake linkage, instrument mount,  and chain guard were all hand made.





click here to go back to art's bikes main page

 

click here to go back to my Thruxton page