Jag Body Rebuild

 

Return to My Jag Main Page

 

 

 

September, 2014

 

Well the process of putting it all back together has finally begun.

 

 

 

A lot of this stuff is only set in place and finger tight. Rounding up all the bits and pieces that it takes to assemble one component is exhausting. Furthermore, I constantly realize that there was some other piece that was under a bracket or bolt and so that has to be removed and the newly discovered piece inserted. Hope I don't wear the bolts out on this thing before I'm done.

 

 

 

 

 

 

I have no idea what this number means.

 

 

But, it got put back any way.

 

 

 

And the wheels on the bus go round.

 

 

August, 2015.

After a delay of several months, a little more progress has been made.

 

Back in 2006 I completed the engine/transmission rebuild and they have been sitting since, awaiting their turn to be reinstalled in the body. I pulled the pan and checked the cylinder walls for any sign of rust and was pleased to find everything inside the engine spotless.

 

 I built a run-in stand and put about 4 hours run time on the engine/clutch/transmission assembly. During that time I found and repaired several small leaks. Other than that, all seemed well.

 

 

 

Another detail that I addressed was the ride height of the front end. I had observed an E-Type at a show once that had been obviously incorrectly set as it was riding too high. I concluded that must be a real possibility and wanted to be able to correct that should it occur.

 

I bought an adjustable reaction plate from XKs Unlimited and set about installing it.

 

 

I found a couple of fitment problems and addressed them.

 

 

The manufacture of this plate included many warnings that they would not be responsible for poor fitment due to sagging, rusted bodies. However, I found that the new plate did not match the original plate, which fit just fine.

 

Anyway, I just made the new plate fit the body and went on.

 

After that was addressed I moved on to reinstalling the engine in the frame.

 

 

 

I have pulled the engine out the top twice before and did not like the way it went. Back in 2004 when I removed the engine/transmission I went out the bottom and found that I liked that better. However, I really hoped that I would be able to leave the intake manifold on the engine as the bottom bolts are difficult to reinstall in the frame.

 

That was just not to be. It was close but, after a couple of hours of trying, I finally gave up and pulled the engine back out.

 

 

 

Naturally, I damaged the gasket, so will have to obtain another before reinstalling the manifolds and carbs.

 

 

This time the engine fit easily. I can see how removal of either the intake or the exhaust manifolds would provide the needed clearance but I think the intake will be a little easier to reinstall in the frame.

 

 

 

Now that I had the weight of the engine to compress the front suspension, I was able to set the the torsion bars and reassemble the front end. Having a rolling chassis is real progress.

 

 

Prior to reinstalling the engine, I was able to make some progress in the boot.

 

 

 

And, after having the gages restored, get them back in the dash.

 

 

 And now, to continue putting the engine compartment back together.

 

 

 

How do you eat an elephant?

One bite at a time!

 

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

 

And a little more progress.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

   Eventually the car got to the point of being able to move under its own power. I had a few leaks which had to be dealt with and a few missteps but mostly things went OK if not quickly.

 

The next hurdle was the mounting of the bonnet.

 

 

 

Most of the trim was installed while still on the rotisserie.

 

 

Next, this special tool, saved for years, was reattached to the front bumper mounting holes. Its purpose is to prevent the bonnet from going too far forward when stood up and running into the stand.

 

 

Then, using the gantry to support the rear of the bonnet, the rotisserie was separated and the back half removed.

 

 

Like this.

 

 

And then the bonnet was raised into the position it will need to remount it to the frame work in front of the picture frame.

 

 

  Then the bonnet is rolled into position. All the padding is to protect every thing until the bonnet can be secured and adjusted.

 

 

 

 

 

Once the bonnet is rotated over, the cradle can be removed. The front of the bonnet is supported by the gantry while the hinge pivot bolts can be installed.

 

By this time much of the interior had been done, click

here

 to see about that.

 

Once the top when on, the seats could be installed.

 

 

And some bright work.

 

Once the seats were in the doors could go on. All the glass and hardware was installed on the bench so that the doors only needed to be mounted and adjusted.

 

 

Then came the interior panels.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

And this is the closest I have ever been!!

 

 

 

 

Return to My Jag Main Page

Interior Page