Return to my Jag Main Page

Body Build Page

 

 

Jag Interior Page.

 

 

November, 2011.

Finally, after nearly 4 1/2 years delay, the Jag project is back on track. The delay was caused by a lack of adequate work space which has been finally remedied. 

 

 

I began by emptying the boot and interior.

 

 

 

Then I began removing the wiring. Mannn, what a job that became. Jaguar had not caught on to the idea of using plugs in their wiring harnesses yet so every wire had it's own individual connector, usually a spade or bullet, and these plugged into each other and everything else. I will need to replace the harnesses under the hood, not so much because they are cut or shorted but because the covering material is frayed and soiled. It would take days of tagging, labeling, and photographing everything so that I would have some hope of reinstalling it correctly.

 

 

For example this.

 

 

And this.

 

 

 

Here Allie Cat keeps a watchful eye over her big cousin. I'm afraid things will have to get worse before they get better.

 

 

Finally it was time to move out into the main area of the shop. The body work and painting will have to be done before the interior page will see any more activity.

 

 

 

 

Along with the exterior, the interior got cleaned and sanded.

 

 

Then primed and sealed.

 

 

 

And finally painted. The flash of the camera makes the color look a bit washed out but if you look at the left door sill you can get a better idea of the actual color.

 

 

 

 

Only after the paint and body work was completed and the drive line reinstalled was I able to return to the interior. The wiring was a nightmare as there is no correct diagram for the '70. I ended up using several diagrams, jumping back and forth from one to the other, to try to make sense of it all. Eventually it got put back together. All the gages were restored, every switch had to be disassembled and cleaned in order to get them to work reliably. and the dash pad got replaced. I chose to use the original dash faces as I felt they were as good as I would be able to do.

 

 

 

 

Next came the thermal/sound deadening material. I am also using an aluminum duct tape to cover some of the dips and depressions that are found in the interior panels. This is that kind that is used to hold the ridged A/C ducts together and can be seen along the top bulkhead panel just below the vertical stiffener that also holds the rear interior light.

 

 

 

The first thing that I had to tackle was the inner wheel arches. These would prove to be the worst nightmare imaginable. The curve is three dimensional, plus, due to the foam padding, it could not be glued anywhere except the edges. I fought this for what seemed like an eternity with less than great success.

 

Finally I gave up and found a local upholstery guy from whom I obtained some replacement vinyl. The second time around I did a little better. Not perfect but probably as good as I can do.

 

 

 

Once I got those two pesky little studs in the back bulkhead installed I was able to complete the trunk (that's boot to those other people).

 

 

The boot mat has lots of wrinkles from storage. Hopefully they will lay down in time. The hair dryer might help as well. 

 

 

Once that was done I moved on to the front of the interior.

 

 

 

More insulation.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Then the padding for the door sill vinyl.

 

 

Finally, in a spurt of progress, I got here.

 

 

 

Next came the top.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Parallel to this was the recovering of the seats and console.

 

Disassembly of the seats uncovered some need for repair.

 

 

The seat pans got painted.

 

 

 

As did the black bits.

 

 

 

 

Installing the seat covers was a choir. They did not fit well and took an inordinate amount of time and effort to get them tight and smooth.

 

 

 

 

 

Padding the sides enough to remove the wrinkles along the sides was difficult but it's hard to describe the effort necessary to fill out the divots at the corners.

 

 

The same was true of the head rests.

 

 

Eventually I got here. Only after the top was installed would I put the seats in the car.

 

 

Also, parallel to work on the seats was rebuilding the console. While not particularly difficult, the console was composed of many separate pieces, making it tedious and time consuming.

 

 

For example, the top piece is plywood, clad in metal over which is placed padding and finally vinyl.

 

 

You can see the metal at the arrows where it wraps over the plywood.

 

 

 

After painting, padding was applied and then the vinyl was attached.

 

 

 

And, as seen in this previous picture, looks like this.

 

 

 

Return to Body Build Page

 

Return to Jag Main Page